Faith Formation Coordinator
Role/Purpose: In conjunction with the pastor, staff, teachers, and other congregational leaders, coordinate faith formation activities designed to reach children, youth, and their families to promote a growing relationship with Jesus Christ aligned with the overall ministry of Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd (LCGS). This is a part-time position expected to be on average 20 hours per week.
- Kids’ Community and Youth: In conjunction with teachers, coordinate Sunday morning educational opportunities for children and youth (pre-k through high school) in age-appropriate ways.
- Seasonal and Special Ministries: With teachers and other leaders, coordinate events like the children’s Christmas program, Vacation Bible School, and service opportunities in the community.
- Middle and High School Youth: Coordinate Sunday morning and special event age-appropriate youth programming. Coordinate service projects, retreats, summer camps, and the National Youth Gathering (once every 3 years for high school youth).
- Confirmation: In conjunction with the pastor, conduct a two-year cycle of preparation and faith formation for affirming one’s faith focused on students in their 7th and 8th grade years.
- Coordinate intergenerational programming with the Faith Formation Team and staff (seasonal or quarterly basis).
- Nursery Care: Recruit, train, and supervise paid nursery staff to provide a safe and nurturing environment for birth-preschool children.
- Safe Church Training: With other church staff, ensure paid workers and church volunteers participate in safe church boundary training.
- Participate in the life and worship of the congregation. Look for opportunities to involve children and youth in worship.
- With the Faith Formation Team, recruit volunteers for participation in the church’s ministry with children and youth.
- As a member of the staff, participate in weekly staff meetings, be accessible by various communication means, and maintain some office hours. Work within Faith Formation budget.
Working Relationships: The Faith Formation Coordinator is a member of the LCGS staff who relates to the pastor as head of staff and is the staff resource person to the Faith Formation Team, the supervisor to nursery care workers, and coordinator to others involved in Faith Formation.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Exhibits and can articulate a mature Christian faith.
- Demonstrates communication and interpersonal skills; can work cooperatively as well as independently and take appropriate initiative.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products; effectively uses email, text, and social media communication; and contributes to church email, newsletter, and other communication tools.
- Observes appropriate boundaries as a leader of children, youth, and families. Complies with applicable abuse reporting requirements.
- Observes appropriate confidentiality and respect for personal privacy.
- Can pass a background check.
- Comfort working in a theologically progressive, “Reconciling in Christ” (open and affirming of the full participation of LGBTQIA persons) congregation.
- Schedule: able to work on Sundays and have flexibility in programming special events.
Experience: Education, Work, Church-related
- High school diploma or GED required. Some college or college degree preferred.
- Experience working with children and youth preferred.
- Experience working in a church congregation or church-related setting preferred.
- Experience working with volunteers preferred.
Compensation: Compensation affected by educational and work experience with a range of $15 to $20 hour. Professional development opportunities available through online or in-person conferences.
Application: Please provide a cover letter and resume and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application period open until the position is filled.
Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA, elca.org) and a part of the regional Sierra Pacific Synod (spselca.net) in Northern Nevada and Northern California. Good Shepherd was founded in 1947 and since 1952 has been located at 357 Clay St. in Reno, NV, 89501, near the corner of California Ave. and Arlington Ave.