It’s beginning to look a lot like . . . ADVENT! Have you checked out our Advent-looking website at goodshepherdreno.org yet? You’ll find lots of Good Shepherd goodness right there!
Sunday Worship – December 6 – Second Sunday in Advent
Continuing with our Those Who Dream theme, this week we prepare the way (peace). We will be livestreaming Sunday at 11am on YouTube. A recording will be made which you can watch later if you can’t join us live. Our YouTube channel is at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLZp-VxXQtNhP9ge-xNluZg. Deanna will send out a link Saturday that will take you straight to our livestream Sunday morning. Join us as we enter into this precious season of Advent.
Family Story Time for Those Who Dream – Wednesdays During Advent
Every Wednesday in Advent we will be doing a Kids’ Story Time! This past Wednesday, Ms. Becky shared her favorite Christmas story, The Christmas Visitor by Anneliese Lussert. These stories are for everyone! Gather up your kiddos, your grandkiddos, or just enjoy it yourself! So cozy up with a warm drink, click here: https://youtu.be/SZRzZ706UEQ and enjoy story time!
In Lieu of Poinsettias this year, honor your loved ones by contributing to our Giving Tree
Typically for Christmas eve, we invite you to purchase poinsettia plants for $10 each that we use to fill our sanctuary. But this year, we would rather financially support some of the many organizations who may be struggling this year due to Covid-19.
This year we offer a new tradition — give to our Giving Tree in honor or in memory of a loved one. You can give $10-$100 and your financial gift will be distributed among eight organizations who all help others give the gift of food, clothing, spiritual guidance and education. 100% of all monies received will be dispersed among:
- Mt. Cross Lutheran Camp
- Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
- Good Shepherd’s Clothes Closet
- Catholic Community Services
- Bread for the World
- Habitat for Humanity
- Our synod’s Rwanda companion parish in Africa
How to Give:
1. Mail a check to Good Shepherd with your loved ones’ names included on a sheet of paper.
2. Go online to goodshepherdreno.org/give and make a contribution and tag it as “Giving Tree”; email your loved ones’ names to email@example.com
3. Go to the Give+ App on your mobile device make a contribution and tag it as “Giving Tree”; email your loved ones’ names to firstname.lastname@example.org
Music This Christmas!
I know many of us are missing concerts this Christmas. Jennie Tibben has shared some links for those longing for music:
- Wartburg College’s presentation of last year‘s Christmas concert, Behold the Mystery is tonight at 5pm or you can watch it on demand any time after the premiere. https://www.wartburg.edu/christmas/
- Wartburg’s 2020 concert, Hope Awakens; Love’s New Dawn, is streaming December 18. Details are at https://www.wartburg.edu/christmas/
- The St. Olaf Christmas festival is December 6 at 1:30pm. Details are at https://christmas.stolaf.edu/
Small Business Directory
We know small businesses in our community are struggling during the pandemic, and we would like to help those in our congregation who own small businesses. If you’re a small business owner, send us your business card by January 10 (sorry we won’t have this ready in time for Christmas). We plan to have the directory ready by February 1. Mail to us at 357 Clay Street, Reno, NV 89501 or email us at email@example.com.
Evening Prayer with Pr. Scott – Mondays at 5:30
On Monday evenings at 5:30 during the season of Advent, Pastor Scott will lead a brief Evening Prayer service via Zoom. The services follow a particular order including a psalm or other scripture and guided prayers, during which time there will be opportunity to mention a thanksgiving or concern. The services are intentionally brief, about 20 minutes, as we give thanks as the day closes and darkness gathers and give thanks for the light of the Christ that has come into the world, the light that even death could not overcome. The services will be December 7, 14, and 21 at 5:30 p.m. Contact the church office for Zoom login details.
2021 Pledge Cards
It’s not too late to send in your 2021 Estimate of Giving. You can mail to us or drop it by at 357 Clay Street, Reno, NV 89501 or you can complete it online at https://www.goodshepherdreno.org/2021-estimate-of-giving. Thank you to everyone who has pledged.
Shared Harvest for December
December’s Shared Harvest will be assembled December 20 and your LAST day to drop items off is Thursday, December 17. You can drop off your donations at the Church Office on Monday through Thursday between 9am and 2pm. We will have the bin outside the Office for your safety. Our shopping list for December includes:
- Cold Cereal (We need 27 boxes.)
- Chicken Noodle Soup (We need 41 cans.)
- Canned Fruit (We need 41 cans.)
- Canned Tuna (We need 41 cans.)
- Shampoo (We need as much as possible)
2nd Mile Offering for December - PLTS
This month’s 2nd Mile Offering benefits Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary. You can mail in a check for 2nd Mile anytime during the month or drop it off in the mail slot at the church office. Please write 2nd Mile on the memo line.
December Signups for Eddy House Monday Meals
If you’re interesting in helping/contributing to the Eddy House meals for December, the new signup list is at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A044EA9AA2DA6F49-eddy13. If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The peace of the Lord be with you all!